I dig Nancy so much that I took my DJ and social media name from this hit Lee Hazlewood wrote for her.
Tuesday, October 20, 2015
Nancy Sinatra
Nancy Sinatra was among the first women I began obsessively collecting records by. I have always been drawn to the complex layers at work behind her image during the '60s and '70s. She was a strong woman yet was also daddy's good little girl (Frank Sinatra to be exact). She was a sex kitten with claws. She believed that a feminist could still be sexy and that the two were not mutually exclusive from each other. Here is a great read on "Female Empowerment, Nancy's Way" . This push and pull of sexy and strong appears time and time again in music (from Kathleen Hanna to Beyoncé) so while there were plenty of bad ass ladies that came before Nancy in music, it really all started with her for me.
I dig Nancy so much that I took my DJ and social media name from this hit Lee Hazlewood wrote for her.
I dig Nancy so much that I took my DJ and social media name from this hit Lee Hazlewood wrote for her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment